For National Men’s Grooming Day, it was important to me that I find a grooming service worthy of publication. It had to be memorable, it had to be satisfying, it had to be “Golden”. I also threw in a convenience factor as I wanted to be sure it was in the San Fernando Valley being that I reside in North Hollywood. Thankfully, I didn’t have to travel too far as I was directed over to GoldenHour in Sherman Oaks. Owned and operated by young entrepreneur, Jalon Webster, GoldenHour takes pride in being the Valley’s best men’s grooming experience available because they hold themselves up to the highest standards in town.
The vibe of GoldenHour is established as soon as you walk into the shop from the minimalist design with street art accents along with a music playlist that sets the mood to unwind. Jalon says, “We like to take you away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world and bring you to a place of serenity within the shop. We utilize curated playlists to set the tone with music. Then pairing our full service haircuts with our men’s manicures, pedicures, or facials allows for an experience that is truly ‘Golden’. I believe you have to give to yourself before you can give to others. The more you give to yourself, the more you can give to others.“
I received a fresh haircut from Jalon himself and a professional manicure from the on-site aesthetician and nail tech. The signature haircut also called “The Golden Hour” takes a complete 60 minutes because Jalon focuses on precision and giving his clients the best treatment available. He attributes his skill to the time he’s spent cutting hair altogether. “I’ve been cutting hair for over 14 years, which is more than half of my life. I love what I do and I love interacting with people. There’s something very therapeutic about getting a great haircut, and I want to stick to the old school idea that I’m not just your barber, but I’m also a type of therapist when you’re in my chair.“
It’s no wonder why GoldenHour has been able to establish itself as prime location for male grooming. Their services have garnered a celebrity clientele that includes the likes of Sarunas Jackson, Shannon Sharpe, Andre Berto, Donovan Carter, Omar Bolden, Duke Ihenacho, and more.
The flagship Sherman Oaks location opened in March 2018, but GoldenHour has been in operation for 2 years servicing the San Fernando Valley area. They take pride in being a local business as Jalon is a Valley native. “I love that I get to operate my passion in this community. I even celebrate the Valley on “818 Day” which is on August 18th, as a means to commemorate our famous area code. We make it a community effort, and I’m proud of this town.”
GoldenHour is located at 14084 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks, CA 91423 and accepts appointments via their booking site HERE.
August 3rd is officially deemed National Watermelon Day, and it just so happens to be my personal favorite fruit of all time. I’ve legitimately been anticipating this day all year long, and now that it’s here, I just can’t contain myself. For SoCal Mag, I wanted to come up with ideas on how to celebrate this day and share my own personal love for nature’s juiciest, sweetest delight. Here’s a curated list from our editors on some fun recipes, watermelon infused products, and locations that Southern Californians can enjoy all weekend.
1.First up, if you’re in Beverly Hills and want a refreshing treat, order the “One In a Melon” cocktail from Citizen Beverly Hills. This cocktail treat is mixed with Vodka, St. Germain, Lime, Fresh Watermelon, Cucumber, Petite Cane Syrup, & Soda. If you’re dining in, start off with their delicious Watermelon Salad paired with Cucumber, Heirloom Tomato, Chili, & Lime.
2. The Bamboo Face Scrub from GOLDEN DOOR is infused with Watermelon Fruit Extract. This delightfully aromatic facial scrub effectively exfoliates dead skin cells leaving a deeply cleansed, smooth, even-toned complexion. Retail value $48.
3. How about a game you can enjoy with the whole family? Word-A-Melon is the new family-fun word search game grown by BANANAGRAMS! Players take turns rolling the die, flipping the letter chips and creating words with the overturned letters. The unused letters get flipped back over so players must be sure to use their melon to remember where they are! The player with the most chips wins the game! Retail Value $20
4. If you want a beach day, take this Super Chill Cooler Bag from ban.do and go in style for the occasion. Their watermelon bag is officially a national obsession, so join the party! Retail Value $32
5. One of my absolute favorite drinks is WTRMLN WTR, and there are so many options with this refreshing drink. Check out their Five Facts You Didn’t Know About Watermelon.
Beyoncé has her own ‘Watermelon Water’: As a partner in the popular drink, WTRMLN WTR, she launched her own LMN-ade flavor timed to the Lemonade album. The LMN-ade flavor is WTRMLN WTR’s Vitamin C Superstar and is packed with watermelon flesh, watermelon rind and Vitamin C, which supports health and happiness.*Since Beyoncé’s investment into the company, WTRMLN WTR has accomplished to be in over 15,000 stores nationwide and in all 50 states – giving Americans a healthier choice.
They’re called watermelon for a reason: They’re 92 percent water, making them a perfect refresher for those hot summer months and is an ideal hydration solution.
Watermelon is what your skin is craving:Watermelon is packed with antioxidants and free radical fighting lycopene, meaning the delicious fruit is really good for your skin, too. It also is rich in beta carotene which will give the body protection from UV light this summer!
6 Billion Pounds of Watermelon are Considered ‘Ugly’:Billions of pounds of watermelons go to waste each year in the U.S. simply because they are they are blemished, dented or discolored. Brands like WTRMLN WTR are using these cosmetically challenged watermelons and turning them into health fuel. In 2017 alone, WTRMLN WTR is predicted to save over 50 million melons that would otherwise be discarded.
Watermelon is full of Vitamin A:Vitamin A helps to promote healthy eyes and can be attributed to better eyesight. It also maintains healthy skin and teeth!
6. If you’re in San Diego, Check out Café 21in the Gaslamp District. The cocktails were created by Owner and Chef Leyla Javadov in collaboration with Greenbar Distillery. The Sandia Beach $14 is crafted with IXA Reposado Tequila, watermelon, lime and chili salt.
Also in S.D. is Madison on Park. Bar Manager Danny Kuehner has crafted the MotorBike $10 with El Jimador Blanco Tequila, local watermelon, aperol, ginger and lime. Paired perfectly with the Watermelon Stack, made with local watermelon, radish, jalapeño, grilled halloumi cheese, avocado, mint and lime, $12.
7. American Heirloom has a great maple Watermelon Cutting Board perfect for today and any other occasion. Retail $30
8. Courtesy of Minibar Delivery, here are two delicious watermelon cocktail recipes for any party.
Watermelon Margarita: 2 oz tequila; ½ oz lime juice; 2 oz fresh watermelon juice; 1 oz cointreau; Watermelon balls to garnish.
Combine all ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake until chilled and pour into glass. Garnish with Watermelon balls and enjoy.
Frozen Watermelon Cucumber Cooler: ½ a watermelon cubed; Cucumber slices; 2 oz Vodka; 1 oz triple sec; 1 oz lime juice; Ice.
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until well combined. Pour into glass and garnish with watermelon slices.
7. There’s something for everybody today, and for the cannabis enthusiasts, there’s the Watermelon/Peach flavored CannaSmack’s “Coral Kiss” tinted lip balm. This lip balm offers a pop of moisturizing coral-pink pigment to match your summer tan – apply lightly for a more subdued tint, or achieve a much bolder lipstick-like appearance by layering. The formula is infused with premium Hemp Seed Oil, providing the highest plant-based source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, as well as vitamins A, B, D, E, for an uber-moisturized, kissable pout. It’s also cruelty-free, paraben-, sulfate- and gluten-free and Made in the USA.
8. For the Fashionistas in your life, California-based KAYU has an option. Available exclusively at J. Crew, this hand-woven watermelon clutch is made from raffia and features embroidery and shell embellishments, with a fun pom pom accent and removable crossbody chain. The bag retails for $84 at J. Crew.
9. Let’s also sport a fresh face today. What better way to celebrate in this summer heat than waking up with the refreshing Bliss What A Melon Reviving & Destressing Overnight Mask? What a Melon creates a nutrient veil to remove dead cells and toxins for a dewy complexion, all while boosting the skin’s defenses against stress and the environment. The mask calms and rehydrates as it tops off moisture levels and electrolytes to plump and soften. Just smooth on a layer, let it soak in, sleep on it and wake up to vibrant, supple skin. The cruelty-free (recently PETA certified) mask is available at Ulta and BlissWorld.com ($16) and is Blissfully free of Parabens, Phthalates, SLS/SLES and more.
10. And for the whole body, there’s Shea Nilotik’ Oil (KALAHARI MELON). 100% Natural, multi-use organic oil for the whole body, even hair. Silky smooth skin and lustrous, soft hair can be achieved in only minutes a day with this easy to use spreadable form of “shea”. Help decrease the appearance of stretch marks, help improve skin tone and texture, help give skin a healthy glow, and more. Condition and help improve hair growth with this fractionated shea butter oil. Use for massage or even to soften bath oil. Contains Kalahari melon oil and scented with natural watermelon extract. Retails for $18.
Tennis icon Maria Sharapova and sbe CEO and Founder Sam Nazarian celebrated the global partnership with Maria Sharapova’s Sugarpova confectionery line and sbe, at Cleo Mediterráneo, one of sbe’s international award winning restaurant brands. Brandi Cyrus arrived with gal pals to support Maria and was seen enjoying her sweet treats. Sam and Maria chatted over her confections sharing stories while James Kennedy had a laugh with friends. Over 200 guests were in attendance including Marta Pozzan, Bridget Marquardt and many other notable influencers. Maria enjoyed sharing her treats and truffles with guests stating she was “thrilled to announce Sugarpova’s new partnership with sbe – a collaboration of two brands that share a common ground in creating and providing a premium product and luxury experience.” Maria, Sam and the guests enjoyed delicious light bites with Cleo’s renowned Chef Danny Elmaleh, and Sebastien Silvestri, COO of Disruptive Group. Sam Nazarian stated, “Maria is not only a tennis icon, but an incredible businesswoman who has created unique products. Myself and the sbe team are very proud to bring her distinctive brand to our properties and excited to welcome her global fan base to our locations.” Maria was the spotlight of the night greeting guests and mingling.
Sugarpova treats were passed along with Cleo’s favorites including Moroccan Fried Chicken with Apricot Mustard and Mini Falafel with Pickled Fennel and Tahini, Wagyu Sliders and more. Guests at the party sipped on a bevy of signature cocktails courtesy of Cleo as well as Giuliana Prosecco, Hiro Sake and Peroni while enjoying tunes from DJ Bobby French. The tennis star’s premium Sugarpova chocolate Bars and Truffles are now available for guests staying at hotels across sbe’s worldwide portfolio, including locations in the USA, Middle East, and Europe.
Chef Danny Elmahel, Maria Sharapova, Chief Operating Officer of Disruptive Group at sbe, Sebastien Silvestri and Founder and CEO of sbe Entertainment Group, Sam Nazarian
Amidst cheers and applause, British R&B singer, Seal strolled confidently on stage and, right off the bat, began charming the audience with his soulful rendition of “Luck be a Lady”. Welcome to a new side of Seal and his tenth studio album “Standards”. This is an album that Seal has always wanted to make because he grew up listening to music from the rat pack era, and for him, recording these classic tunes has been a lifelong dream. Seal said “It was a true honor to collaborate with the same musicians who performed with Frank Sinatra and so many of my favorite artists, in the very same studios where the magic was first made – it was one of the greatest days of my recording career.”
Who knew that Seal was a crooner? Well, he is, and a mighty fine one at that. His voice is rich, velvety and flawless, his style is sassy, his look debonair, and this man can handle a room – or should I say a bowl? Bending down to sing to the ladies in the front and shaking people’s hands, Seal utilized the entire stage, the catwalk strip, and even ventured off stage altogether to further flirt with the audience.
Between songs, his laid back banter made him even cooler. Listening to him, one gets the feeling that this is a man who is sincere and has a gentle, generous spirit. He jokingly told the audience, “Hello Los Angeles, well I know most of the people here, yeah, you guys all hit me up for tickets.”
Things got a little more serious when Seal talked about a recent bout of depression and recanted a day when he listened to “That’s Life” at full volume. “It helped” he quipped, and proceeded to perform the song with the magic of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra behind him, conducted by Thomas Wilkins. Seal likened playing with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra to driving a Rolls Royce. He clearly loved the material he was performing and who he was performing it with.
Halfway through the show, Seal announced that a very special guest was in the house; someone who had, in part, been responsible for him being a musician. It turned out to be none other than Joni Mitchell, and as the cameras swung around to find the icon seated in the audience, Seal got everyone to sing the line: “paved paradise, put up a parking lot.”
Towards the end of his show, Seal broke out his hit songs “Kiss from a Rose”, and “Crazy”, and last but not least, invited his 8-year-old daughter up on stage to play piano for a short performance of “Superstition”. For an encore, it was “Rebel Rebel” to honor the late David Bowie. No matter what style: classics, pop, rock, ballads, covers – Seal handles them all with vibrant, powerful vocals and ebullient showmanship. Seal is the real deal.
With every award show in L.A., there’s bound to be a plethora of events celebrating the socialites and celebs in town for the festivities. ESPY Week is no exception as the elite stars of sports are honored in their own way through an exciting ceremony that highlights these star athletes’ achievements.
Kicking off ESPY week, The Bespoke Men’s Club was hosted by current Super Bowl Champions of the NFL’s Philadelphia EaglesMalcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod. Both Jenkins and McLeod brought their off the field passions into full effect as owners of their own individual fashion boutiques Damari Saville(Jenkins) and Back of House(McLeod) with their ESPY week pop-up event. After winning a Super Bowl together, the duo thought it would be great to partner for a successful collaboration, just off the field this time with TheBespoke Men’s Club!
The Bespoke experience consisted of a gifting suite in Downtown LA’s Fashion District on Monday, July 16th & Tuesday, July 17th. Bespoke was curated to provide the best in clothing, electronics, and grooming in one Men’s Club experience and the event was just that! Each guest received a Talley & Twine luxury watch as they entered the lounge to commence the experience. Just past the shopping experience, guests were offered complimentary haircuts and grooming services on behalf of Luster’s S-Curl and The Mane Choice. While receiving grooming services, guests were able to get a sneak preview of The Equalizer 2 from Sony Pictures which is set to release on July 20th, 2018.
Vibes were set by a live DJ, artwork by Erik the Artist, passed bites and delicious cocktails crafted by Teeling Whiskey and ROAR Organic. The two-day event was all possible because of the support of brands ProJeweler, Clean Showroom, Todd Patrick, Gordon Crush, Packs Supply, Ainsley & Troupe, Gifted Apparel, Esquire Men’s Grooming,Fairplay, Jabra Headphones, Hard Soda, Mr13195 and Taylordblu.
Jenkins + McLeod had some of the sports world’s most prestigious athletes in attendance including Jalen Mills, John Ross, Trumaine Johnson, Jay Ajayi, and Dontrelle Inman just to name a few. Check out the rest of the images from this event below:
I’m still on a very specific search for the best products and regimens relating to hair thinning/loss prevention. Within my own personal circles, I’ve come across other men my age struggling with the same concerns about hair loss, so I felt like I could find something of value in my search not only for myself, but for my peers and the thousands of people across America looking for a solution that works best for them.
Launching this Summer is SeroVital Hair Regeneres, a combination treatment of supplemental capsules through their Hair & Scalp Revitalizing Corrector and the topical Advanced Hair Thickening Serum comprising of SeroVital’s trademarked proprietary compound called Chromaviv. The two-step system features a dietary ingredient that delivers melanin to the hair roots and a topical serum that impacts the scalp environment with external bioactives. I’ll be undergoing a trial using this product to see just how much my personal hair thinning decreases. I’m personally very excited to see any results and share SeroVital Hair Regeneres with our readers as a solution.
This is a unisex product that also works on the reversal of graying hair. SeroVital Hair Regeneres will be available online in July retailing at $99 for a 30-day supply, with a full release to national retailers August 2018. Check out more at www.SeroVitalHair.com