There is a reason why Spice Affair in Beverly Hills dons its name, and that’s because this fine Indian restaurant has cleverly paired the most traditional Indian dishes & spices with some of the finest renditions of California cuisine. It’s no wonder why Spice Affair is an award winning business and holds the title of “Best Indian Food in Los Angeles”.
I partook in a divine dinner experience at Spice Affair and knew that this restaurant really had something competitive to offer in its Beverly Hills dining neighborhood. For starters, their famed “Butter Chicken Loaded with Love” stands up to its name as one of the most ordered items on the menu. The Dum Chicken Biryani is another highly recommended favorite which served to be a delicious medley of Basmati rice, with boneless chicken, and Saffron. I was blown away by all of the flavors throughout each dish. Quite frankly, Spice Affair, created a dining experience that expanded my personal palate and opened my mind to a new world of food options.
Even more impressive were the numerous options for Vegan and Gluten Free items on the menu. My guest that evening lives by a dominantly plant-based diet, so it was great that they were able to comfortably order from the menu without having to feel limited with items to choose from and still enjoy some of the best options from the restaurant.
I highly recommend eating “family style” here because you’re going to want to try a little bit of everything. It makes the dining experience so much better and allows for a completely satisfactory meal with layers of flavor and Spice!
Spice Affair Indian Restaurant is located at 50 N La Cienega Blvd. #120, Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Lunch is served Mon – Sun from 11:30am – 2:30pm
Dinner is served Sun – Thurs from 5:00pm – 10:00pm and Fri & Sat from 5:00pm – 11:00pm
MADE IN + BY + FOR LA
Streetwear as a whole resonates so easily with the city of Los Angeles, so much that it’s a staple part of L.A. culture. Streetwear loves L.A., and L.A. loves streetwear, so it’s no mystery as to why this city is a booming hub of creative brands and designers tapping into the category that has skyrocketed to mainstream fashion. Los Angeles is saturated with streetwear brands, but few create with the position of a reaching out to a greater cause. The young founders of WHERE thought about what it means to be a streetwear brand and really wanted to reflect a celebration of this amazing city through their clothing. They even took it further to expand the brand’s platform in a positive direction by partnering with the Time’s Up Organization and Legal Fund to combat sexual assault and inequality. See what WHERE’s co-founders, Natasha Hung & Tyler Makhani, have to say about their brand and the overall message they want to deliver.
What separates WHERE Clothing from other streetwear brands?
Something that we always notice with other streetwear brands is this nonchalant sense of coolness. You can see it in the model’s expressions and body language. Then, you add the intimidating nature of both influence and luxury and these brands are almost so ‘cool’ that they’re untouchable. We want to redefine that. We want to align “cool” with excitement and warmth and the sincerity that comes with those feelings. When we take photos, we make sure most of them are candid. We want everyone smiling.
The Times Up movement is making some serious waves in today’s social climate. What compelled you to contribute to this initiative via your clothing brand?
This is important to us for so many reasons. The work that the Time’s Up Organization and Legal Fund is doing to end sexual assault, harassment and inequality is imperative. Their platform is massive, and it’s so important to support their ability to fund legal representation for the victims of these crimes.
Natasha: As a woman, specifically in the entertainment business, I am appalled by the way various powerful figures have taken advantage of their position by asserting themselves over so many, a majority being (but not limited to) women. In addition, there is a discrepancy in women’s pay, authority in the work place and our opportunities, benefits and representation. As a woman who has been given the privilege of an education, I think it’s only right to use my own, smaller platform to promote causes like Time’s Up. I am excited by and grateful for their work towards creating a safer and more honorable community.
What message do you want WHERE Clothing to give its fans?
Celebration. We want ours to transfer. We love what these clothes represent, and we want our customers to join us in celebrating when they buy something— whether it be Los Angeles artisanship, a special graphic, or the Time’s Up Legal Fund.
What can we expect from the brand in future collections?
This is just the beginning for us and we can’t wait to keep going. We will continue to perfect our fit and feel while bringing new ideas and inspirations to the table. We have so many designs ready and we’re so excited to share— from more creative capsules like REPOSE, to new city specific collections like our New York Series set to launch next year. Additionally, we are working on some collaborations and partnerships with other brands that uphold similar values and aesthetics. With every collection, we learn so much. It’s so fun for us to take that knowledge and invest it into our future.
Make sure to follow WHERE on Instagram at @whereyouatbaby
August 3rd is officially deemed National Watermelon Day, and it just so happens to be my personal favorite fruit of all time. I’ve legitimately been anticipating this day all year long, and now that it’s here, I just can’t contain myself. For SoCal Mag, I wanted to come up with ideas on how to celebrate this day and share my own personal love for nature’s juiciest, sweetest delight. Here’s a curated list from our editors on some fun recipes, watermelon infused products, and locations that Southern Californians can enjoy all weekend.
1.First up, if you’re in Beverly Hills and want a refreshing treat, order the “One In a Melon” cocktail from Citizen Beverly Hills. This cocktail treat is mixed with Vodka, St. Germain, Lime, Fresh Watermelon, Cucumber, Petite Cane Syrup, & Soda. If you’re dining in, start off with their delicious Watermelon Salad paired with Cucumber, Heirloom Tomato, Chili, & Lime.
2. The Bamboo Face Scrub from GOLDEN DOOR is infused with Watermelon Fruit Extract. This delightfully aromatic facial scrub effectively exfoliates dead skin cells leaving a deeply cleansed, smooth, even-toned complexion. Retail value $48.
3. How about a game you can enjoy with the whole family? Word-A-Melon is the new family-fun word search game grown by BANANAGRAMS! Players take turns rolling the die, flipping the letter chips and creating words with the overturned letters. The unused letters get flipped back over so players must be sure to use their melon to remember where they are! The player with the most chips wins the game! Retail Value $20
4. If you want a beach day, take this Super Chill Cooler Bag from ban.do and go in style for the occasion. Their watermelon bag is officially a national obsession, so join the party! Retail Value $32
5. One of my absolute favorite drinks is WTRMLN WTR, and there are so many options with this refreshing drink. Check out their Five Facts You Didn’t Know About Watermelon.
- Beyoncé has her own ‘Watermelon Water’: As a partner in the popular drink, WTRMLN WTR, she launched her own LMN-ade flavor timed to the Lemonade album. The LMN-ade flavor is WTRMLN WTR’s Vitamin C Superstar and is packed with watermelon flesh, watermelon rind and Vitamin C, which supports health and happiness.*Since Beyoncé’s investment into the company, WTRMLN WTR has accomplished to be in over 15,000 stores nationwide and in all 50 states – giving Americans a healthier choice.
- They’re called watermelon for a reason: They’re 92 percent water, making them a perfect refresher for those hot summer months and is an ideal hydration solution.
- Watermelon is what your skin is craving:Watermelon is packed with antioxidants and free radical fighting lycopene, meaning the delicious fruit is really good for your skin, too. It also is rich in beta carotene which will give the body protection from UV light this summer!
- 6 Billion Pounds of Watermelon are Considered ‘Ugly’:Billions of pounds of watermelons go to waste each year in the U.S. simply because they are they are blemished, dented or discolored. Brands like WTRMLN WTR are using these cosmetically challenged watermelons and turning them into health fuel. In 2017 alone, WTRMLN WTR is predicted to save over 50 million melons that would otherwise be discarded.
- Watermelon is full of Vitamin A:Vitamin A helps to promote healthy eyes and can be attributed to better eyesight. It also maintains healthy skin and teeth!
6. If you’re in San Diego, Check out Café 21 in the Gaslamp District. The cocktails were created by Owner and Chef Leyla Javadov in collaboration with Greenbar Distillery. The Sandia Beach $14 is crafted with IXA Reposado Tequila, watermelon, lime and chili salt.
Also in S.D. is Madison on Park. Bar Manager Danny Kuehner has crafted the Motor Bike $10 with El Jimador Blanco Tequila, local watermelon, aperol, ginger and lime. Paired perfectly with the Watermelon Stack, made with local watermelon, radish, jalapeño, grilled halloumi cheese, avocado, mint and lime, $12.
7. American Heirloom has a great maple Watermelon Cutting Board perfect for today and any other occasion. Retail $30
8. Courtesy of Minibar Delivery, here are two delicious watermelon cocktail recipes for any party.
Watermelon Margarita: 2 oz tequila; ½ oz lime juice; 2 oz fresh watermelon juice; 1 oz cointreau; Watermelon balls to garnish.
Combine all ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake until chilled and pour into glass. Garnish with Watermelon balls and enjoy.
Frozen Watermelon Cucumber Cooler: ½ a watermelon cubed; Cucumber slices; 2 oz Vodka; 1 oz triple sec; 1 oz lime juice; Ice.
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until well combined. Pour into glass and garnish with watermelon slices.
7. There’s something for everybody today, and for the cannabis enthusiasts, there’s the Watermelon/Peach flavored CannaSmack’s “Coral Kiss” tinted lip balm. This lip balm offers a pop of moisturizing coral-pink pigment to match your summer tan – apply lightly for a more subdued tint, or achieve a much bolder lipstick-like appearance by layering. The formula is infused with premium Hemp Seed Oil, providing the highest plant-based source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, as well as vitamins A, B, D, E, for an uber-moisturized, kissable pout. It’s also cruelty-free, paraben-, sulfate- and gluten-free and Made in the USA.
8. For the Fashionistas in your life, California-based KAYU has an option. Available exclusively at J. Crew, this hand-woven watermelon clutch is made from raffia and features embroidery and shell embellishments, with a fun pom pom accent and removable crossbody chain. The bag retails for $84 at J. Crew.
9. Let’s also sport a fresh face today. What better way to celebrate in this summer heat than waking up with the refreshing Bliss What A Melon Reviving & Destressing Overnight Mask? What a Melon creates a nutrient veil to remove dead cells and toxins for a dewy complexion, all while boosting the skin’s defenses against stress and the environment. The mask calms and rehydrates as it tops off moisture levels and electrolytes to plump and soften. Just smooth on a layer, let it soak in, sleep on it and wake up to vibrant, supple skin. The cruelty-free (recently PETA certified) mask is available at Ulta and BlissWorld.com ($16) and is Blissfully free of Parabens, Phthalates, SLS/SLES and more.
10. And for the whole body, there’s Shea Nilotik’ Oil (KALAHARI MELON). 100% Natural, multi-use organic oil for the whole body, even hair. Silky smooth skin and lustrous, soft hair can be achieved in only minutes a day with this easy to use spreadable form of “shea”. Help decrease the appearance of stretch marks, help improve skin tone and texture, help give skin a healthy glow, and more. Condition and help improve hair growth with this fractionated shea butter oil. Use for massage or even to soften bath oil. Contains Kalahari melon oil and scented with natural watermelon extract. Retails for $18.
The fourth annual KAABOO Del Mar is almost here! The highly amenitized event, set to take place at Del Mar Racetrack and Fairgrounds in Southern California on September 14-16, 2018, has gone to great lengths to make sure that each attendee feels spoiled and is treated to a hospitality-driven experience that engages all five senses. At KAABOO multi-day annual events, guests enjoy a world-class music and HUMOR ME comedy lineup; an onsite Contemporary Art Fair in ARTWORK, plus a display of outdoor murals and installations; PALATE gourmet food and craft libation tastings; a Las Vegas-style day club called BASK, plus spa and relaxation services at INDULGENCES. KAABOO Del Mar overlooks the Pacific Ocean and enjoys pristine weather, ocean breezes, and numerous easy to access lodging options.
Over the last couple of months, KAABOO has also been offering a chance for local Southern California musicians to participate in the festival through their Discovery Tour program, which is a a unique program that is designed to showcase some of the amazing talent in our area. Every year, KAABOO has a stage dedicated to local and emerging talent. Three musical acts and one comedian will be selected as winners of the Discovery Tour, earning them the coveted opportunity to perform at KAABOO on September 14-16th, 2018, alongside the previously announced music + comedy acts in the lineup, including Foo Fighters, Imagine Dragons, Katy Perry, Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters, Craig Ferguson, Iliza Shlesinger, Nick Offerman and more.
On Friday, August 10th, SweetTooth, Sophia Dion, Desert Rhythm Project, and Nick Crook will compete to win audience votes for the third and final music stop, and this Sunday (July 29th), comedians will then battle it out at the American Comedy Co. Details and ticket links can be found at www.kaaboodelmar.com/discovery-tour. Make sure to check out the TOURMALINE Stage and HUMOR ME at KAABOO to see these bands and many more local acts!