August 3rd is officially deemed National Watermelon Day, and it just so happens to be my personal favorite fruit of all time. I’ve legitimately been anticipating this day all year long, and now that it’s here, I just can’t contain myself. For SoCal Mag, I wanted to come up with ideas on how to celebrate this day and share my own personal love for nature’s juiciest, sweetest delight. Here’s a curated list from our editors on some fun recipes, watermelon infused products, and locations that Southern Californians can enjoy all weekend.
1.First up, if you’re in Beverly Hills and want a refreshing treat, order the “One In a Melon” cocktail from Citizen Beverly Hills. This cocktail treat is mixed with Vodka, St. Germain, Lime, Fresh Watermelon, Cucumber, Petite Cane Syrup, & Soda. If you’re dining in, start off with their delicious Watermelon Salad paired with Cucumber, Heirloom Tomato, Chili, & Lime.
2. The Bamboo Face Scrub from GOLDEN DOOR is infused with Watermelon Fruit Extract. This delightfully aromatic facial scrub effectively exfoliates dead skin cells leaving a deeply cleansed, smooth, even-toned complexion. Retail value $48.
3. How about a game you can enjoy with the whole family? Word-A-Melon is the new family-fun word search game grown by BANANAGRAMS! Players take turns rolling the die, flipping the letter chips and creating words with the overturned letters. The unused letters get flipped back over so players must be sure to use their melon to remember where they are! The player with the most chips wins the game! Retail Value $20
4. If you want a beach day, take this Super Chill Cooler Bag from ban.do and go in style for the occasion. Their watermelon bag is officially a national obsession, so join the party! Retail Value $32
5. One of my absolute favorite drinks is WTRMLN WTR, and there are so many options with this refreshing drink. Check out their Five Facts You Didn’t Know About Watermelon.
Beyoncé has her own ‘Watermelon Water’: As a partner in the popular drink, WTRMLN WTR, she launched her own LMN-ade flavor timed to the Lemonade album. The LMN-ade flavor is WTRMLN WTR’s Vitamin C Superstar and is packed with watermelon flesh, watermelon rind and Vitamin C, which supports health and happiness.*Since Beyoncé’s investment into the company, WTRMLN WTR has accomplished to be in over 15,000 stores nationwide and in all 50 states – giving Americans a healthier choice.
They’re called watermelon for a reason: They’re 92 percent water, making them a perfect refresher for those hot summer months and is an ideal hydration solution.
Watermelon is what your skin is craving:Watermelon is packed with antioxidants and free radical fighting lycopene, meaning the delicious fruit is really good for your skin, too. It also is rich in beta carotene which will give the body protection from UV light this summer!
6 Billion Pounds of Watermelon are Considered ‘Ugly’:Billions of pounds of watermelons go to waste each year in the U.S. simply because they are they are blemished, dented or discolored. Brands like WTRMLN WTR are using these cosmetically challenged watermelons and turning them into health fuel. In 2017 alone, WTRMLN WTR is predicted to save over 50 million melons that would otherwise be discarded.
Watermelon is full of Vitamin A:Vitamin A helps to promote healthy eyes and can be attributed to better eyesight. It also maintains healthy skin and teeth!
6. If you’re in San Diego, Check out Café 21in the Gaslamp District. The cocktails were created by Owner and Chef Leyla Javadov in collaboration with Greenbar Distillery. The Sandia Beach $14 is crafted with IXA Reposado Tequila, watermelon, lime and chili salt.
Also in S.D. is Madison on Park. Bar Manager Danny Kuehner has crafted the MotorBike $10 with El Jimador Blanco Tequila, local watermelon, aperol, ginger and lime. Paired perfectly with the Watermelon Stack, made with local watermelon, radish, jalapeño, grilled halloumi cheese, avocado, mint and lime, $12.
7. American Heirloom has a great maple Watermelon Cutting Board perfect for today and any other occasion. Retail $30
8. Courtesy of Minibar Delivery, here are two delicious watermelon cocktail recipes for any party.
Watermelon Margarita: 2 oz tequila; ½ oz lime juice; 2 oz fresh watermelon juice; 1 oz cointreau; Watermelon balls to garnish.
Combine all ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake until chilled and pour into glass. Garnish with Watermelon balls and enjoy.
Frozen Watermelon Cucumber Cooler: ½ a watermelon cubed; Cucumber slices; 2 oz Vodka; 1 oz triple sec; 1 oz lime juice; Ice.
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until well combined. Pour into glass and garnish with watermelon slices.
7. There’s something for everybody today, and for the cannabis enthusiasts, there’s the Watermelon/Peach flavored CannaSmack’s “Coral Kiss” tinted lip balm. This lip balm offers a pop of moisturizing coral-pink pigment to match your summer tan – apply lightly for a more subdued tint, or achieve a much bolder lipstick-like appearance by layering. The formula is infused with premium Hemp Seed Oil, providing the highest plant-based source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, as well as vitamins A, B, D, E, for an uber-moisturized, kissable pout. It’s also cruelty-free, paraben-, sulfate- and gluten-free and Made in the USA.
8. For the Fashionistas in your life, California-based KAYU has an option. Available exclusively at J. Crew, this hand-woven watermelon clutch is made from raffia and features embroidery and shell embellishments, with a fun pom pom accent and removable crossbody chain. The bag retails for $84 at J. Crew.
9. Let’s also sport a fresh face today. What better way to celebrate in this summer heat than waking up with the refreshing Bliss What A Melon Reviving & Destressing Overnight Mask? What a Melon creates a nutrient veil to remove dead cells and toxins for a dewy complexion, all while boosting the skin’s defenses against stress and the environment. The mask calms and rehydrates as it tops off moisture levels and electrolytes to plump and soften. Just smooth on a layer, let it soak in, sleep on it and wake up to vibrant, supple skin. The cruelty-free (recently PETA certified) mask is available at Ulta and BlissWorld.com ($16) and is Blissfully free of Parabens, Phthalates, SLS/SLES and more.
10. And for the whole body, there’s Shea Nilotik’ Oil (KALAHARI MELON). 100% Natural, multi-use organic oil for the whole body, even hair. Silky smooth skin and lustrous, soft hair can be achieved in only minutes a day with this easy to use spreadable form of “shea”. Help decrease the appearance of stretch marks, help improve skin tone and texture, help give skin a healthy glow, and more. Condition and help improve hair growth with this fractionated shea butter oil. Use for massage or even to soften bath oil. Contains Kalahari melon oil and scented with natural watermelon extract. Retails for $18.
I’m still on a very specific search for the best products and regimens relating to hair thinning/loss prevention. Within my own personal circles, I’ve come across other men my age struggling with the same concerns about hair loss, so I felt like I could find something of value in my search not only for myself, but for my peers and the thousands of people across America looking for a solution that works best for them.
Launching this Summer is SeroVital Hair Regeneres, a combination treatment of supplemental capsules through their Hair & Scalp Revitalizing Corrector and the topical Advanced Hair Thickening Serum comprising of SeroVital’s trademarked proprietary compound called Chromaviv. The two-step system features a dietary ingredient that delivers melanin to the hair roots and a topical serum that impacts the scalp environment with external bioactives. I’ll be undergoing a trial using this product to see just how much my personal hair thinning decreases. I’m personally very excited to see any results and share SeroVital Hair Regeneres with our readers as a solution.
This is a unisex product that also works on the reversal of graying hair. SeroVital Hair Regeneres will be available online in July retailing at $99 for a 30-day supply, with a full release to national retailers August 2018. Check out more at www.SeroVitalHair.com
Summer is well underway, and men, I’ve seen the glory as it pertains to products for retaining youthful, well-moisturized skin this season. Kiehl’s partnered with Equinox in Century City to provide a media preview to two of their latest products within their Facial Fuel & Body Fuel Lines.
Eye Fuel – Due to its thin, fragile skin, the eye contour is often the first area of the face to show signs of fatigue. Kiehl’s instantly cooling under-eye formula provides weightless hydration and refreshing relief for tired-looking eyes. With continued use, the formula with Caffeine and Vitamin B3 helps reduce the appearance of puffiness and dark circles. Fuel up after a long flight or a long night.
Body Fuel Antiperspirant & Deodorant – Kiehl’s delivers on its first ever global roll-on antiperspirant deodorant and provides 48-hour protection against sweat and odor. The quick-dry formula with Caffeine, Vitamin C and Zinc glides on easily without sticking.
So far, I can attest that both product samples we received are holding up to the standard of Kiehls’ brand quality that they’ve maintained for years. To further that claim, both are the perfect additions to these lines as the rest of the Facial & Body Fuel collection is particularly pleasing, with my favorite items being the No-Shine Moisturizing Lip Balm, the Energizing Face Wash, and the Facial Fuel Energizing Moisture Treatment.
What Kiehl’s is doing is starting a movement with their products and you can follow it on social via their #FindYourFuel hashtag.
Additionally, make sure to check out our media preview’s supporting partners who treated us so well during the product introduction before and after our Athletic Conditioning session at Equinox Century City.
With cannabis now legal in Southern California, there’s no question the industry is booming and a new wave off entrepreneurs are emerging. We sat down with “cannapreneur” Sarah McDaniel to discuss her CBD- based skincare line Walagoot, which was born from from her own struggle with clear skin as a working model and actor. We also spoke to her about her upcoming on camera roles and stop animation projects she is producing. Check out the full Q&A below!
Q: You’re a California local, correct? Tell us how you got your start in modeling and acting.
A: Yes, I was born in Northern California then lived in San Diego and Calabasas and now near Oxnard. I actually got discovered as model through Instagram. When I was seventeen, I began posting modeling type shots to Instagram and this was before “influencers” was really a big thing yet. I started to build a following and caught the attention of photographer and videographer
I’ve always had a passion for filmmaking and recently acted in a psychological thriller, Perfect, alongside Abbie Cornish and Leonardo Nam which premiered at the 2018 SXSW Festival in Austin, TX. The film will also be premiering here in Los Angeles this fall.
Q: California is among the first states to legalize marijuana. The cannabis industry has since taken off. Tell us about your interest in Cannabis and your upcoming skincare line.
A: Growing up, I used to struggle with acne and eczema.It just makes you feel so conscious of your skin. Worrying if people notice I would even lose modeling and acne jobs because of my skin and it took a lot of my confidence away. After trying Accutane, over-the-counter medication and every fad on the market with no results, I knew there had to be something else. At the time, I was aware of cannabis recreationally and knew it had some medical applications. I began doing research and eventually contacted a friend in Colorado who recommended isolate which is CBD in a crystal form. It had some positive affects but I wanted something stronger so I began experimenting with the full spectrum of CBD oils along with coconut, jojoba and other oils. Eventually I found the right blend and my skincare line, Walagoot, was born!
Q: What has been the biggest challenges you face in your business so far?
A: I’m a young female in the cannabis and entertainment industry which brings a unique set of challenges. To be able to pose in lingerie or act in a horror film while also having a huge passion for behind the scenes business and creating its hard to command authority in two polar opposite worlds. A lot of what you say gets overlooked and its hard to be heard but theres always a way to find sucess if you’re committed enough.
Q: You also work behind the camera as a content creator. Tell us about your latest projects.
A: I’ve recently been working in stop-motion animation. I created a rabbit character known as “The Professor” which was produced in partnership with Movie Mountain Studios. We are now working on a cyclops character for our next short. I was originally considering creating the cyclops for a comic book but I’ve found through my work as an influencer that people engage better with video content. Stop motion is a very expensive and time consuming way to make a film but I really love it and hope to continue working in this medium.
I also put out a variety of video and photography content on my Instagram. You can follow me @krotchy.
Q: And what are your long-term goals with your cannabis line?
A: For my CBD line, I’d eventually like to expand from topicals to more medicinal tinctures for things like bone density, migraines, and eventually herbal chemo. I’d really like to use my knowledge of CBD oil to help people medically, and work toward creating cancer preventatives.
Q: Please share with us your SoCal Must Haves
Fav Restaurant:FACE restaurant is the best in Ojai
Fav Spot to Create Content: Favorite place to create content is in my bathtub
Fav Area of this City: Favorite area of the city is my friends house in Malibu canyon
Valley side Lash lovers rejoice – Blink Bar is now open in Sherman Oaks! The all pink lashtique has opened a third location at 12516 Ventura Blvd, Between Van Nuys Blvd and Cedros and offers all the best-in-class, natural and playful lash extensions for all.
Blink Bar’s founder Tirzah Shirai, along with her rigorously trained technicians held a private grand opening celebration and were on hand to answer any and all questions about last styles ays Shirai, “I’m incredibly excited to open what will be our best location yet. There are some big surprises in store for our guests.”
In addition to offering the best natural or dramatic lashes in ranges from synthetic to silk, FeatherLASH® to mink, Blink Bar offers individual Ombré lashes for a pop of color, Microblading and brow shaping.
The new Blink Bar in Sherman Oaks is conveniently open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. To book an appointment, call 818-386-8209 or book online by visiting http://theblinkbar.com/locations/
Ely Anne Vedar
Ely Anne Vedar is a public relations and events manager specializing in life’s favorite F’s: Food, Fitness and Female Owned Businesses.
Her agency’s strengths lie in building solid client relationships, brand partnerships, creative campaigns, and strategy that scores top media placements; As well as a unique understanding of the in-and-outs of event production and execution.
Ely Agency was founded in 2014 in Los Angeles by Ely Anne Vedar. A graduate of the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, with degrees in Visual Communications and Business Management, Ely has always had a passion for creating innovative marketing campaigns and memorable events that leave lasting impressions of each brand and service she works with. Her work with food, fitness and fashion brands and events can be seen in WWD, Vogue, LA Weekly, and more.
With this week’s heatwave, we wanted to approach our skincare regimen in the best, healthiest way possible. We spoke with skincare expert and licensed esthetician , Cheryl Cotton, who wanted to share her tips on taking care of your skin and protecting it from Southern California heat.
To keep your skin glowing in the SoCal heat, I usually stick to four principles that help protect you from the harsh Sun, particularly for delicate skin.
Stay Hydrated By far, one of the most important things you can do for your skin (and your body) this summer. Drink lots of water throughout the day. Coconut Water is great for your skin. Also, try to snack on foods with high water content such as watermelon, cantaloupe, and strawberries.
Give Yourself a Boost of Vitamin-C Vitamin-C is extremely nourishing for the skin. As a natural antioxidant and skin brightener, Vitamin-C shields your skin from environmental stresses and significantly improves hydration. It also helps promote collagen production which will keep your skin looking younger, longer!
Choose the Right Sunscreen Zinc-oxide mineral sunscreens provide the best sun protection and help prevent wrinkles and uneven skin tone. Make sure you are using an SPF30 or above. Reapply every 2 hours, and keep in mind that the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 am and 2 pm. This is the perfect opportunity to rock a hat with a pair of sunglasses.
Avoid Wearing Heavy Make-Up You have enough wreaking havoc on your skin from the sun, sweat, and excess oil production. The last thing you want to do is suffocate your skin with a layer of heavy make-up. A little eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss is all you need. Let your skin breathe and be free!
Cheryl Cotton has been a licensed Esthetician for 10 years and was certified by the State Board of California. She received advanced aesthetics training from the world-renowned International Dermal Institute and is certified by PCA Skin in Advanced Chemical Peels. Her career in skincare was stemmed from her teenage years when she suffered from Acne and would feel very self-conscious during that time. She began researching treatments and causes of acne, and became fascinated with skin care and how the skin functions. She knew immediately that she had found her passion and all she wanted to do from that point moving forward was to help as many people as possible live acne-free.